I was using two blogs...one to write about the Reds, the other about me. I rarely actually blog, so I am just combining them here. So sometimes this will be about the Reds, sometimes just my life.

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Thoughts From Third: NL Central Rankings

I am so ready for baseball...and as such...I did a little experiment...I decided to use the Yahoo Fantasy Rankings to determine the NL Central Standings this year.  It falls closely in line to what many are picking, so my methodology may be sounds. :-)


Bad news for Reds Fans like myself and Anthony, Pirates Fans like Scott and Brian. I just used an EXTREMELLY scientific and mathmatic approach to figure out the NL Central Standings for this year. The lower the points the better.

1) Brewers 97
2) Cardinals 100
3) Reds 107
4) Cubs 109
5) Astros 130
6) Pirates 164

Pirates pitching KILLS them. If their starters were even equal to Houston's (next worst) they would be at 119; improve their closer and even better.

If you're at all wondering...I took the Yahoo Player rankings, and found where NL Central teams ranked position by position.  I used the official website (MLB website) for depth charts to decide where everyone landed except Reds catcher, because let's be real....Hanigan over Hernandez. 

For example:

2B: 
1-Reds/Phillips
2-Brewers/Weeks
3-Pirates/Walker
4-Cubs/DeWitt
5-Cardinals/Schumaker
6-Astros/Barmes

I totaled those to give the rankings...position by position.  

By position players it fell this way:

Brewers/Cardinals-25
Cubs-26
Pirates-28
Reds-29
Astros-35

Starters (higher numbers because 5 pitchers per staff)

Brewers-55
Cardinals-60
Reds-69
Cubs-74
Astros-76
Pirates-121 (REALLY bad)

Closers:

Cubs/Marmol
Reds/Cordero
Brewers/Axford
Cardinals/Franklin
Astros/Lyon
Pirates/Hanrahan (I think Meek should be the closer...but Hanrahan's listed first on the site)

Bullpen (top 2 relievers only)

Reds (Massett/Chapman)  
Cubs (Wood & Marshall)
Pirates (Meek & Resop)
Cardinals (McClellan & Motte)
Brewers (Hawkins & Saito) and Astros (Fulchino & Arias)

I think Hawkins and Saito are better than they have them....

So there you have my methodology.  With all of this work I think I'll blog this also...

1 comment:

  1. So as I blogged for the first time today I am going back and reading old posts and read this one...and wow. I was close...Pirates did better than this said they would, but next to that I was right on with everything.

    ReplyDelete