I was using two blogs...one to write about the Reds, the other about me. I rarely actually blog, so I am just combining them here. So sometimes this will be about the Reds, sometimes just my life.

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happenings from Home: Redsfest 2010

As you all know, the past two days have been one of my holidays...Redsfest 2010.  There are several big days per year.  Opening Day.  Opening Night.  This year we had the Civil Rights Game, the Reds Hall of Fame induction, the celebration of the 1990 team, and the first playoff game in Great American Ballpark history-all of which I attended!  We also have Redsfest.

Friday I arrived at the Duke Energy Center at around 8 am.  We have the past 3 years, and sat along the walls inside the building.  This year, I arrive, and they aren't going to open the doors until noon.  So, Bob and Zach Volk, myself, and 20 other people wait outside in the cold until noon to be the first inside.  They let a guy in a wheel chair who came an hour later (he was in a wheel chair because of low blood sugar) and let him in the front of the line.  Not to sound like a jerk, but I don't think that's right.  I won't rant...it's not worth it.  However, there was no reason he could not have waited outside like everyone else.  Anyway...

So at noon we went to wait a few more hours until the doors open.  One of the people we had been waiting with was actually able to sneak and get a picture of 3 of the 5 autograph slots. So we were all able to see and prepare for several of the autograph times.

We all were sure that at 4:15 (as normal) they would have an autograph slot, as well as one at 9:15.  They had both.  When we were waiting to go in, the guys we were with kept saying "Run straight to A, that's where the best will be!" (There are 5 autograph lines...A, B, C (season ticket holders only), D (Kids only), and E.  Bob was ready to do so, and I talked him into heading to the center to look first, like we do every year.  It's never served us wrong.  At 3:35 they let us in. We did as I suggested...and immediately turned around and headed for B.

I had already decided this year wasn't as much about autographs as the last few years.  I ended up spending a lot more time looking around and at the main stage.

I took a picture of the line:


That was behind me...I was fourth in line.  Bob was seventh.  At 4:15, it was time for our first autograph. 



Aroldis Chapman, with the 105 MPH fastball and jewels everywhere, was one of the few I hoped to get.  It was a great first treat.  The man in grey is Chapman's translator. He has an interesting way of signing...he turns the ball and signs sideways.  So when you look at the picture below, he turned to where the part with his autograph was with the C at the top and n closest to him to sign.  It was rather interesting.  

Behind it you can see my World Baseball Classic ball I won.  It is one of four commemorative baseballs I have.  The other four are near the end of the post.

After that, I went and enjoyed the highlight reel of the season.  It really was a tremendous year!  It was the most fun I can imagine for a season...I can't wait to see what next year holds.  After that I checked out some memorabilia.  They had some cool things (a ton) and I picked up a few smaller things. I picked up a couple more small things today.  Possibly the coolest thing I picked up was this:


That is the Reds team yearbook from the year I was born.  Sure I was only alive for 13 hours that year...but it is still from the year I was born, which I thought was nifty.  I also got it for $10 instead of 15 and in that awesome case.  

Anyway, after the main stage and memorabilia, I took a picture with my future wife.  (A joke...Jennifer and I won't ever be separated...and she's not a real person...but it's a fun joke.)

Rosie Red and I

A Rosie ornament I got at Redsfest

I went to go see Jamie Ramsey, who has one of the best blogs in the business, Better Off Red.  Great blog from a Miami grad.  We chatted for a few, and I moved on and looked at pretty much all of the booths around Redsfest.
After that, I went over to the kids only autograph line, where one of my favorite players of the past decade was signing for kids...of which I don't count at Redsfest.  As he was walking from kids only to a picture, I asked him to sign a ball for me, and he did. I had forgotten what I really wanted him to sign in my office.  I stopped and got it today, and waited in line for him to sign it today.  I also got Sam LeCure to sign an unused playoff ticket (the Reds did not get to that game).  Here are pics of each:
Dontrelle Willis McFarland from 2004


Sam LeCure ticket from Game 4 of the playoffs...which was never played.

The first day ended, and we moved on to day two...some of which you just heard about.  Bob Wilson joined me today, and we had a good time with everything.  We watched several things on the main stage, got some autographs, shopped a little, and had a great time.  It was tiring but fun.  This blog is already long, so I'm not going in to everything...you get the idea.  But below are some images with captions that will show you more about Redsfest (and a small bit of my Reds collection...maybe 10% of it.

Walt, Dusty, and most of the Coaching staff

Marty and the Cowboy, fresh off new 3-year deals


Marty asking Walt for the inside scoop on upcoming deals


Why does no one pay attention to us?

"So, Dusty...how are you going to use that many starting pitchers?"

"This year, I think the Reds need to focus more on modern dance."

"Did you see what Chuck D is wearing?  It's great having fans that into this!"

Chuck D, the #1 Reds Fan, waiting in line to ask a question.  He didn't get to.

"I wish I was golfing."

"I could use some fried chicken right about now."-Cowboy thinks

"The reason we led the league in runs scored? It was all me." -Third Base Coach Mark Berry

"Dusty...can we get past the first round next year?"

"I'm telling you-dance is the answer!"

Bob Wilson with the four Reds All-Stars

NL and Reds team MVP Joey Votto.
 
Joey: "What I do in the bathroom, I do to myself." (He actually said that)

The bags they gave us...replicas of the new batting practice jerseys.  I want a jersey!

The Reds travel mugs they gave us.

Autographed balls from Redsfest.
L-to-R: Dontrelle Willis, Matt Maloney, Devin Messorasco, Bob Castellini, Chris Valaika.  
Behind it you can see my autographed Barry Larkin ball and the pic of us together. 

My current Reds autographed ball shelf, minus the new balls.  L-R
Top: Dusty Baker, Ryan Hanigan, Coco Cordero, Sam LeCure, Mike Leake
Second Row (cases): Aaron Harang, Edinson Volquez, Bronson Arroyo, Johnny Cueto
Third Row front: Corky Miller, Homer Bailey, Nick Massett
Third Row Back: Jared Burton, Bill Bray, Mike Lincoln, Micah Owings, Logan Ondrusek, Danny Ray Herrera
Fourth Row: Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips, Orlando Cabrera, Todd Frazier, Scott Rolen, Paul Janish
Fifth Row: Lance Nix, Drew Stubbs, Johnny Gomes, Chris Heisey, Jay Bruce
(I'm not moving any free agents until they sign elsewhere)

Former Reds players.  
The left half is mostly former Reds (except one who never was a Red, Brandon Webb)
The right part is some of my balls from the 1990 team.  Not all of them are there, I believe.

The other commemorative balls I have received in batting practice or at games.  
Front: Nationals Park Inaugural Season, last out of an inning, tossed up by Garrett Anderson
Second: Shea Stadium (Mets) Final Season, tossed up in BP by Eric Gagne
Third: Target Field (Twins) Inaugural Season-BP, hit out by an Astro


I LOVE this headline, and now I have the paper signed by Jay Bruce!  

There it is...Redsfest 2010. A wonderful time.  I can't wait until the season!  


No comments:

Post a Comment